Ed. Dept. Seeks Comment on IDEA Rules
Proposed Regulations Address Discipline, Teacher Qualifications
The Department of Education has released proposed regulations for the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act that seek to clarify the rules on highly qualified special education teachers, identification of students with learning disabilities, and the discipline of students in special education.
The department released the text of the proposed rules on its Web site June 10, leaving educators and advocates in the field a week to cram before officials took to the road for a series of public hearings on the proposed rules.
The clock will not start ticking on the 75-day comment period until the rules are published in the Federal Register , which was expected by early this week. That would give interested parties until some time in September to make comments. Education Department officials say their goal is to release...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
- Senior Content and Curriculum Leader
- BrightBytes, San Francisco, CA
- Executive Director
- Doctors Charter School, Miami Shores, FL
- English Teacher
- MVCSD, Mount Vernon, NY
- Immediate Teaching Positions Available at New Visions! Apply Now!
- New Visions for Public Schools, NY
- Senior Curriculum Developer and Trainer
- Institute For Curriculum Services, San Francisco, CA