News in Brief: A Washington Roundup
First IDEA Meeting Is Pushed Back
The Department of Education has pushed back its first meeting scheduled to collect public input on proposed regulations for the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, which was reauthorized by Congress late last year.
The first meeting, originally scheduled for June 6 in San Antonio, will now be June 17 in Nashville, Tenn. The San Antonio meeting has been rescheduled for July 7. Other public hearings will be held June 22 in Sacramento, Calif.; June 24 in Las Vegas; June 27 in New York City; June 29 in Chicago; and July 12 in Washington. Each meeting will be held from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. and from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Specific location information can be found in the May 31 Federal Register.
The hearings will provide an opportunity to comment on the draft IDEA regulations, which the Education Department hopes to issue soon. The department has said it hopes to issue final IDEA regulations by December.
Vol. 24, Issue 39, Page 26
- Head of School/President
- Saint Gertrude High School, Richmond, VA
- Fort Worth Independent School District, Forth Worth, TX
- International Schools First Ever iFair
- International Schools Services, Multiple Locations
- Superintendent, South Orange & Maplewood
- The School District of South Orange & Maplewood, Maplewood, NJ
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA