The Paradoxical Teacher
In a world that likes to pigeonhole people, Albert Shanker was a paradox. He was one of the fathers of collective bargaining for teachers, but also one of the strongest voices for teacher professionalism.
He was a fierce defender of public education, but at the same time, one of its most clear-eyed critics.
He was a lifetime crusader for civil rights, but led a bitter strike in New York City that...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
- Associate Director of Marketing & Business Development
- Generation Ready, New York, NY
- Director of Product Marketing, Assessment
- Scholastic Inc., Manhattan, NY
- Notre Dame Cristo Rey High School, Lawrence, MA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Florence Public School District One, Florence, SC
- 3rd Grade Teacher
- New Hope Academy Charter School, Brooklyn, NY