Federal

NCLB’s Transfer Provisions Stymied, GAO Report Says

By Caroline Hendrie — January 04, 2005 3 min read
  • Save to favorites
  • Print

Implementation of the school choice provisions of the No Child Left Behind Act has been stymied by a lack of space to accommodate transfers and unrealistic timelines for notifying parents of their options, a report by the Government Accountability Office concludes.

“No Child Left Behind Act: Education Needs to Provide Additional Technical Assistance and Conduct Implementation Studies for School Choice Provision” is available online from the Government Accountability Office. ()

Noting that fewer than 1 percent of the students eligible to transfer under the law did so in the 2003-04 school year, the GAO found that districts often do not give parents reliable information about their educational options until after the school year has started.

The congressional investigative agency also found that thousands of students were being denied transfers because their districts had determined that no spaces were available for them, even though federal officials have said that capacity problems are not an excuse for denying students the option of switching schools.

The report, released Dec. 10, urges the U.S. Department of Education to give states and districts more help in carrying out the choice provisions, which apply to schools receiving funding under the federal Title I program for disadvantaged students. It also calls on the department to conduct a study that examines the choice provision’s effects on students’ academic performance.

In a letter responding to the report, outgoing Deputy Secretary of Education Eugene W. Hickok said the department largely agreed with the GAO findings, and highlighted steps it had already taken to address them. The department will draw on the report “to improve its technical assistance to states and districts and to strengthen its own implementation studies,” Mr. Hickok wrote.

The GAO study examined the first two years of implementation of the choice requirements, both through national data and reviews of eight districts in seven states. Under the law, Title I schools that fall short of student-achievement targets for two years must give students the alternative of transferring to other public schools that do meet those goals.

Transfer Rates Vary

In 2003-04, an estimated 6,200 of the nation’s 52,500 Title I schools were required to offer such a choice, up from 5,300 schools in 2002-03, the report says.

Some 31,500 of the nearly 3.3 million eligible students actually transferred under the No Child Left Behind Act in the 2003-04 school year, the study found. Oregon had the highest percentage of transfers, at 17 percent, and New York state had the highest actual number, with 7,373. Five states, the largest of which was Texas, reported no transfers. Data were unavailable for eight states.

Seven of the eight districts studied failed to get final results on school performance from their states in time to meet the law’s requirement that they notify parents of eligible students by the start of the school year. So most used preliminary data, a practice that the report says “put districts at risk of incorrectly identifying schools as having to offer choice and consequently misinforming parents.”

“The compressed time frame for making school status determinations and implementing the choice option left parents little time to make transfer decisions,” the GAO says. And it notes that the tight timeline also forced schools to rearrange their staffing and scheduling at the last minute.

The study also found that many schools that were offered as transfer options had not met state performance benchmarks the previous year, so were in danger themselves of landing on the list of schools required to offer choice.

On the problem of lack of space for transfer students, the GAO recommended that the Education Department monitor the issue, particularly “the extent to which capacity constraints hinder or prevent transfers,” and then “consider whether or not additional flexibility or guidance addressing capacity might be warranted.”

A version of this article appeared in the January 05, 2005 edition of Education Week as NCLB’s Transfer Provisions Stymied, GAO Report Says

Events

This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Student Absenteeism Webinar
Attendance Isn't an Attendance Problem
Boost attendance by strengthening relationships, belonging, and support with practical strategies from Doug Fisher & Nancy Frey.
Content provided by Corwin
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
School & District Management Webinar
The Principal's Role in Collective Efficacy and Student Outcomes
Learn practical strategies that help principals translate their confidence into stronger collective teacher efficacy and student outcomes.
Content provided by Otus

EdWeek Top School Jobs

Teacher Jobs
Search over ten thousand teaching jobs nationwide — elementary, middle, high school and more.
View Jobs
Principal Jobs
Find hundreds of jobs for principals, assistant principals, and other school leadership roles.
View Jobs
Administrator Jobs
Over a thousand district-level jobs: superintendents, directors, more.
View Jobs
Support Staff Jobs
Search thousands of jobs, from paraprofessionals to counselors and more.
View Jobs

Read Next

Federal Education Department Tells Schools Race Can’t Factor Into Student Discipline
A letter to educators follows up on last month's rescission of longstanding discrimination rules.
5 min read
Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights for the Department of Education nominee Kimberly Richey testifies before the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions committee about her nomination in Washington, D.C., on June 5, 2025.
Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights Kimberley Richey testifies before the Senate's Health, Education, Labor and Pensions committee at her nomination hearing in Washington on June 5, 2025. A new letter to educators from Richey instructs schools not to consider race at all in school discipline policies, following the Trump administration's rescission of longtime anti-discrimination rules.
Jason Andrew for Education Week
Federal Q&A What Head Start's English-Only Rule Could Mean for English Learners
Research shows it's not necessary to lose a home language to learn English.
3 min read
Long Beach, CA - March 20 : Teacher Monica Alvarado, left, leads activities with staff in the infant class at Educare Los Angeles at Long Beach , a very high-quality child care center in Long Beach on Wednesday, March 20, 2024 in Long Beach, CA.
Teacher Monica Alvarado, left, leads activities with staff in the infant class at Educare Los Angeles at Long Beach, a very high-quality child care center in Long Beach on Wednesday, March 20, 2024 in Long Beach, Calif. Head Start programs for early childhood education will no longer promote bilingualism under a proposed rule change.
Brian van der Brug / Los Angeles Times via TNS
Federal After Months of Standstill, Ed. Dept. Announces New Federal Research Funding
The agency outlined its fiscal 2027 grantmaking amid questions about its sluggish spending.
7 min read
The Department of Education headquarters in Washington, D.C. on Friday, July 17, 2026.
The Department of Education headquarters in Washington on Friday, July 17, 2026. Federal funding for education research may be starting to flow, even as the overall spending picture remains unclear.
Eric Lee for Education Week
Federal Trump Signs Executive Order Calling for Spacing Out Childhood Vaccines
The order calls for splitting the MMR vaccine into three separate shots, a sequence not currently available in the U.S.
3 min read
President Donald Trump speaks as Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr., right, and Jayme Franklin listen during a meeting to sign an executive order about vaccines, Monday, Aug. 10, 2026, in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington.
President Donald Trump speaks as Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr., right, and Jayme Franklin listen during a meeting in the Oval Office of the White House on Aug. 10, 2026. Trump signed an executive order to change childhood vaccination schedules.
Jacquelyn Martin/ AP Photo