Law & Courts

Bush Agrees to Hearings On Florida Admissions Proposal

By Jessica L. Sandham — February 02, 2000 2 min read
  • Save to favorites
  • Print

Following a highly publicized daylong sit-in by black state lawmakers, Gov. Jeb Bush has begun a series of hearings on his controversial plan to end race-based admissions in Florida’s colleges and universities.

Miami citizens will have the chance to voice their views this week in one of three scheduled hearings on the governor’s “One Florida” plan. Mr. Bush agreed to the meetings during a tense negotiating session with two African-American legislators who set up camp in the governor’s office suite for more than 24 hours on Jan. 18 to protest his proposed ban on racial preferences in university enrollment and state contracting practices.

The governor agreed to postpone for almost one month the Florida board of regents’ scheduled vote on his proposals, which include his “Talented 20" program. If approved by the regents during the rescheduled meeting on Feb. 17, the new plan would guarantee that seniors who graduate in the top 20 percent of their high school classes would be admitted to one of 10 state university campuses—provided they’ve also completed 19 required courses in high school.

The SAT, which has long been considered a barrier to college for many minority students, would no longer be a factor in admissions. (“Jeb Bush Seeks Race- Based-Admissions Ban, Nov. 24, 1999.)

Gov. Bush, a Republican, has maintained that he intends to expand the number of minority students who are served by the state university system, but critics point to studies saying that minority enrollment could drop just as easily as it could rise under the new plan. The governor and the regents, they say, are moving too hastily to approve a plan that will have lasting implications for future generations.

“He kept saying the plan is not perfect, but it will work,” said Rep. Anthony C. Hill Jr., who, along with fellow Democrat and state Sen. Kendrick Meek, stayed in Lt. Gov. Frank Brogan’s office until the governor agreed to the hearings. “We say, ‘Let’s take it to the people and let them come to the meetings and voice their concerns,’” Mr. Hill added.

Aid Would Rise

Keith Goldschmidt, who is a spokesman for the 14-member board of regents, said critics of Gov. Bush’s plan have failed to notice its other, more positive aspects. In addition to the Talented 20 program, the governor has proposed increasing need-based financial aid by 43 percent, to $65.9 million, in fiscal 2000.

In addition, he said, the new plan would not prohibit the state’s universities from considering special circumstances for students who do not meet minimum admissions requirements, such as whether a student is the first in his or her family to attend college, or comes from an underrepresented geographic area.

Of the 28,000 students who enrolled in the university system last year, only 3,200 entered under an alternative admissions policy, including those whose race or ethnicity worked in their favor. Two-thirds of that total were minority students, Mr. Goldschmidt said.

“When you look at the plan in full, it’s good for the state,” Mr. Goldschmidt said. “University presidents should be able to maintain diversity or increase it.”

Still, state Sen. Daryl L. Jones said he was frustrated that the governor and the regents had apparently made up their minds without first hearing from the public.

“It doesn’t appear to me that there is going to be any good-faith effort to review the outcome of those hearings,” said Mr. Jones, a Democrat who is the chairman of the Florida Conference of Black State Legislators.

A version of this article appeared in the February 02, 2000 edition of Education Week as Bush Agrees to Hearings On Florida Admissions Proposal

Events

This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Special Education Webinar
Bridging the Math Gap: What’s New in Dyscalculia Identification, Instruction & State Action
Discover the latest dyscalculia research insights, state-level policy trends, and classroom strategies to make math more accessible for all.
Content provided by TouchMath
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
School & District Management Webinar
Too Many Initiatives, Not Enough Alignment: A Change Management Playbook for Leaders
Learn how leadership teams can increase alignment and evaluate every program, practice, and purchase against a clear strategic plan.
Content provided by Otus
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
College & Workforce Readiness Webinar
Building for the Future: Igniting Middle Schoolers’ Interest in Skilled Trades & Future-Ready Skills
Ignite middle schoolers’ interest in skilled trades with hands-on learning and real-world projects that build future-ready skills.
Content provided by Project Lead The Way

EdWeek Top School Jobs

Teacher Jobs
Search over ten thousand teaching jobs nationwide — elementary, middle, high school and more.
View Jobs
Principal Jobs
Find hundreds of jobs for principals, assistant principals, and other school leadership roles.
View Jobs
Administrator Jobs
Over a thousand district-level jobs: superintendents, directors, more.
View Jobs
Support Staff Jobs
Search thousands of jobs, from paraprofessionals to counselors and more.
View Jobs

Read Next

Law & Courts Oklahoma Board Rejects Jewish Charter as Supreme Court Fight Looms
Oklahoma's charter school board rejected the Jewish school as members said their hands were tied.
4 min read
Ben Gamla Charter Schools founder and former U.S. Rep. Peter Deutsch, right, speaks with Brett Farley, executive director of the Catholic Conference of Oklahoma, left, before a Jan. 12 meeting of the Statewide Charter School Board in Oklahoma City. Both are founding board members of an Oklahoma Jewish Charter School.
Ben Gamla Charter Schools founder and former U.S. Rep. Peter Deutsch, right, speaks with Brett Farley, executive director of the Catholic Conference of Oklahoma, before a Jan. 12, 2026, meeting of the Statewide Charter School Board in Oklahoma City. The board rejected the proposed Jewish charter school on Feb. 9, 2026.
Nuria Martinez-Keel/Oklahoma Voice
Law & Courts Religious Charter Schools Push New Cases Toward Supreme Court
Advocates seeking to establish publicly funded religious schools in three states.
9 min read
The U.S. Supreme Court is seen, Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2026, in Washington.
The U.S. Supreme Court is seen on Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2026, in Washington. Religious charter advocates are betting a full Supreme Court will side with their efforts to establish religious charter schools.
Rahmat Gul/AP
Law & Courts Educators Sue Over ICE Activity on School Grounds and Nearby
The challenge targets the Trump administration's revocation of a policy that limited immigration enforcement at schools.
5 min read
A sign reading "Protect Neighbors" is posted near a bus stop as a school bus passes on Friday, Jan. 30, 2026, in Minneapolis.
A sign reading "Protect Neighbors" is posted near a bus stop in Minneapolis on Jan. 30, 2026. A lawsuit from two Minnesota school districts and the state's teachers' union says immigration agents have detained people and staged enforcement actions at or near schools, school bus stops, and daycare centers.
Kerem Yücel /Minnesota Public Radio via AP
Law & Courts TikTok Settles as Social Media Giants Face Landmark Trial Over Youth Addiction Claims
Trial centers on criticisms that the platforms deliberately addict and harm children.
5 min read
Social Media Kids Ohio 24005836447288
ASSOCIATED PRESS