This page is no longer being updated.
From February to June of 2021, this tracker presented the operating status of some of America’s largest school districts (plus, the Toronto, Ontario district). All are members of the Council of the Great City Schools, which closely documented how its districts provided instruction.
Collectively, these school systems serve about 8.2 million students, or roughly 15 percent of the U.S. public school enrollment. Across these districts, 44 percent of students are Hispanic, 27 percent are Black, 18 percent are white, 8 percent are Asian/Pacific Islander, and 2 percent are Alaskan/Native American. More than 70 percent qualify for free and reduced-price meals.*
The COVID-19 pandemic has taken a disproportionate toll on Black, Hispanic, and Native American communities—in numbers of infections, rates of death, job losses, and food and housing insecurity.
As of May 24, 2021, 65 member districts in the Council of the Great City Schools—some of the largest school districts in the U.S.—were open for wide-scale in-person learning. 7 more districts were open for limited in-person learning.
Search the table for the final status and nuanced descriptions of how each school district ended the 2020-21 school year.
Updated Feb. 9, 2021.
- Hasn’t opened for wide-scale, in-person learning this school year - Most or all students learn remotely, with the exception of small student groups.
- Has been open for in-person learning, but is currently in remote learning - Was previously open for wide-scale in-person learning, but has now scaled back to small groups or entirely remote.
- Open for wide-scale, in-person learning - Open for all students to attend in-person, including in hybrid mode.
- Open for limited, in-person learning - Open for large student groups to attend in-person.
- Varies by individual school - Decisions are being made by schools, not on the district level.
* These demographics include students in public schools in Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory, but not students in the Toronto district (a member of the Council in Ontario, Canada).
For media or research inquiries about this table and data, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Cite This Page
Harris, Tonya. In-Person or Remote Learning: How the Biggest City School Districts Are Operating (2021, February 8). Education Week. Retrieved Month Day, Year from https://www.edweek.org/leadership/in-person-or-remote-learning-how-the-biggest-city-school-districts-are-operating/2021/02