Education Funding

Turmoil in Wyoming: School Funding Back in Court

By Adrienne D. Coles — November 05, 1997 3 min read
  • Save to favorites
  • Print

This week, long-simmering frustrations over school funding in Wyoming are scheduled to spill over again in a courtroom showdown.

Despite pleas from the governor and other state officials, district officials are again challenging the state’s school finance plan in court.

The state had asked the Wyoming Supreme Court to block the trial until after the legislature completes its next session, which begins in February and is expected to end in March. The court had not ruled on the request last week.

“We’re going to trial over things that are going to change in February,” said Ray Hunkins, the special assistant attorney general in charge of the state’s case. “There are a number of loose ends that need to be tied up.”

The loose ends come in the form of data. The state education department is working to provide the legislature with the latest data available from a cost-of-education study issued last March. The department has until Jan. 1 to report to the lawmakers so that they can adjust their new finance plan accordingly.

But the school districts are tired of waiting. “Our concern is that we want to make sure that we push this through to have an equitable system for our students and that it’s put in place as quickly as possible,” said Gene Carmody, the superintendent of Sweetwater District #2, one of the four districts that filed the initial Wyoming school finance lawsuit in 1992.

A Frustrating Turn

During a special session that ended in June, state lawmakers approved a reform plan, but they are not expected to fine-tune it until the budget session in February. The reform plan was the result of a 1995 order by the state’s highest court to eliminate spending disparities among Wyoming’s 49 school districts. (“It’s Nearly High Noon for Wyo. Officials Facing Finance Deadline,” June 11, 1997.)

The court had ruled that the old plan, which was based largely on the number of classrooms in a district rather than on enrollment, created unconstitutional differences in educational opportunities. This school year, while the legislature continues work on its new plan, the old system remains in place. But no sooner had the legislature closed out its special session than the four districts that originally sued the state over its funding system challenged the new plan, which bases funding on student enrollment. Several intermediate and small school districts have also joined the suit, as well as the Wyoming Education Association. The plaintiffs sued the state for failing to implement the new plan by the court’s July 1, 1997, deadline. They also contend that the new plan would not provide enough additional state funding for schools.

The latest litigation wave has left both sides frustrated.

“I’m really disappointed in the suit,” said Rep. Peg Shreve, a Republican and the co-chairwoman of the select committee on school finance, a 12-member group that is working with the House-Senate education committee on the reform plan. “I thought the lawyers would wait until after the budget session to see what we get done.”

“We have to have exact numbers to know what we’re getting,” she said.

School officials see things differently, however. “Part of our frustration is that the time line to have all of the pieces in place stretched two to three years,” said Mr. Carmody, the Sweetwater superintendent. The 3,500-student district is one of the four larger districts involved in the case.

But it seems no amount of litigation will speed the process.

The districts “are upset because we didn’t have it all set up to go into effect in July 1997, but the state never had to have these things,” Ms. Shreve said. She expects everything to be done by July of next year.

“We’ve been in a time crunch. The supreme court only gave us 18 months to get this together--that’s an impossibility. We have to set up a lot of things,” Ms. Shreve said.

Mr. Carmody countered: “We offered to work with legislators since day one. ... [It] seems we’ve been rebuffed.” He added that the districts asked the legislature to consider funding inequalities as early as 1990.

“We’re pressing forward with the lawsuit so that districts won’t have to come back and go through what we’ve been dealing with for the last six years,” Mr. Carmody said.

Related Tags:

Events

This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Special Education Webinar
Hidden Costs of Special Ed Vacancies: Solutions for Your District
When provider vacancies hit, students feel it first. Hear what district leaders are doing to keep IEP-related services on track.
Content provided by Huddle Up
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Privacy & Security Webinar
How Technology Is Reshaping Childhood
How do we protect kids online while embracing innovation? Learn about navigating safety, privacy, and opportunity in the Digital Age.
Content provided by Connect x Protect
Budget & Finance Webinar Creative Approaches to K-12 Budget Realities
What are districts prioritizing in 2026? New survey data reveals emerging K-12 budgeting trends.

EdWeek Top School Jobs

Teacher Jobs
Search over ten thousand teaching jobs nationwide — elementary, middle, high school and more.
View Jobs
Principal Jobs
Find hundreds of jobs for principals, assistant principals, and other school leadership roles.
View Jobs
Administrator Jobs
Over a thousand district-level jobs: superintendents, directors, more.
View Jobs
Support Staff Jobs
Search thousands of jobs, from paraprofessionals to counselors and more.
View Jobs

Read Next

Education Funding Trump Holds Back $2 Billion for Education Grants. What Will Happen Next?
The White House is keeping congressionally approved money locked up through a little-known process.
11 min read
050626 funding cuts trump schools lieberman fs 2270953986
Getty
Education Funding A School Wants a Tornado Shelter. A Federal Grant Keeps Getting in the Way
The district still can't spend a FEMA grant it was originally awarded in 2022.
9 min read
FemaGrant Maiorella 02
A new gym under construction in Wisconsin's Cuba City school district, pictured April 16, 2026, would have also served as a tornado shelter, thanks to an $8.8 million FEMA grant. But nearly four years after it was awarded the grant, the district still doesn't have the money.
Arthur Maiorella for Education Week
Education Funding Trump Sidestepped Congress on More Than $1 Billion in Ed. Spending Last Year
Newly published documents show how the Ed. Dept. departed from Congress' plans.
13 min read
The likeness of George Washington is seen on a U.S. one dollar bill, March 13, 2023, in Marple Township, Pa. The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office says it expects the federal government will be awash in debt over the next 30 years.
Newly published budget documents show the U.S. Department of Education, in the first year of President Donald Trump's second term, took roughly $1 billion Congress appropriated for specific education programs and spent it differently than how lawmakers intended—or didn't spend it all.
Matt Slocum/AP
Education Funding Federal Funds for Schools Will Still Flow Through Ed. Dept. System—For Now
The Trump administration has been touting its transfer of K-12 programs to the Labor Department.
5 min read
Remaining letters on the Department of Education on Wednesday, March 18, 2026, in Washington.
Remaining letters on the U.S. Department of Education building in Washington on Wednesday, March 18, 2026. Despite the agency's efforts to shift management of many of its programs to the U.S. Department of Labor, key K-12 funds will continue to flow through the Education Department's grants system this summer.
Allison Robbert/AP