News in Brief
More Students Caught With Guns at School
The number of students caught with guns at school has gone up, new U.S. Department of Education figures show.
According to the latest report on the Gun-Free Schools Act, a 10 percent increase occurred in the number of guns found on students from the 2008-09 to the 2010-11 school year. The federal law requires students who bring firearms to school to be expelled for at least a year.
The number of guns on campus had been dropping since the 2005-06 school year. The Education Department hasn't released data about guns in school for more than 2½ years and quietly posted the latest figures on its website in April. The report doesn't offer any explanations for the rising rates.
During the 2010-11 school year, 2,761 students were caught with guns at school.
Vol. 32, Issue 36, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Deputy Chief Academic Supports Officer
- School District of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV
- Alphonsus Academy & Center for the Arts, Chicago, IL
- Director, Professional Development Curriculum Design & Development
- Northwest Evaluation Association, Portland, OR
- Kindergarten teacher
- Saint Sophia School, Holladay, UT