New High School Pathways Emerging
Every student at Wheeling High School takes a full academic courseload. But many of the graduates of this 2,000-student school in Wheeling, Ill., also emerge with significant experience in a career field.
Those interested in health careers, for example, can work with student-athletes in the school's athletic-training facility, earn a Certified Nursing Assistant credential, and intern at a nursing-care facility. They have the option of taking electives in Advanced Placement Psychology or sports medicine.
But in the mind of the school's principal, it's the career exposure that matters most, whether a student ends up a doctor or physical therapist. "There's no dead end. There's a significant experience to help kids figure out if this is really what they want to do,"...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Assistant Professor of Educational Administration
- Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS
- Senior Curriculum Developer and Trainer
- Institute For Curriculum Services, San Francisco, CA
- English Teacher
- MVCSD, Mount Vernon, NY
- Senior Content and Curriculum Leader
- BrightBytes, San Francisco, CA
- Immediate Teaching Positions Available at New Visions! Apply Now!
- New Visions for Public Schools, NY