News in Brief
Hawaii Union Reaches 4-Year Contract Deal
After a standoff that lasted two years, the Hawaii State Teachers Association last week approved a contract that ties teacher evaluations and pay raises to student test scores.
The action marks a key victory for the state in its quest to keep its Race to the Top funding, which has been in jeopardy ever since the U.S. Department of Education put its $75 million grant on "high risk" status in 2011.
The contract calls for new teacher evaluations tied to test scores starting in 2015. It also calls for the state and teachers' union to review the results of the pilot and decide on changes.
Vol. 32, Issue 29, Pages 4-5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Educator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Park City School District, Park City, UT
- Career and Technical Education Director
- Patterson Joint Unified School District, Patterson, CA
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Director of John C. Dunham STEM Partnership School
- Aurora University, Aurora, IL