News in Brief
Gun-Control Measure Introduced in Senate
Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., has introduced legislation prohibiting the sale of more than 150 types of military-style weapons and large-capacity magazines. The measure comes in response to the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. The Obama administration proposed similar policy prescriptions for curbing gun violence.
The measure would also require background checks on all future transfers of assault weapons, such as a sale or a gift. And people who already own assault weapons that would be banned under the bill would be required to store them safely.
Observers expect the legislation may be a tough sell in Congress—the National Rifle Association, an influential lobbying organization that opposes gun restrictions, has come out against the bill.
But Ms. Feinstein thinks engaging on the issue will be worthwhile.
"Getting this bill signed into law will be an uphill battle, and I recognize that but it's a battle worth having," she said.
Vol. 32, Issue 19, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Big Lake School District, Big Lake, MN, Big Lake, MN
- Talent Recruiter
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Glenwood Springs, CO
- Superintendent of Schools
- Fremont County School District #14, Ethete, WY
- Chief Information Officer and Special Projects Manager
- Randolph Public Schools, MA
- Modern & Classical Languages Department Chair
- New Trier Township High School District 203, Winnetka, IL