A+ Schools Infuse Arts and Other 'Essentials'
State networks gain attention and momentum
As a group of Oklahoma principals toured Millwood Arts Academy on a recent morning, they snapped photos of student work displayed in hallways, stepped briefly into classrooms, queried the school’s leader, and compared notes.
They were gathered here to observe firsthand a public magnet school that’s seen as a leading example of the educational approach espoused by the Oklahoma A+ Schools network , which has grown from 14 schools a decade ago to nearly 70 today.
A key ingredient, and perhaps the best-known feature, is the network’s strong emphasis on the arts, both in their own right and...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- English Teacher
- MVCSD, Mount Vernon, NY
- Senior Content and Curriculum Leader
- BrightBytes, San Francisco, CA
- Assistant Professor of Educational Administration
- Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS
- Immediate Teaching Positions Available at New Visions! Apply Now!
- New Visions for Public Schools, NY
- Senior Curriculum Developer and Trainer
- Institute For Curriculum Services, San Francisco, CA