News in Brief
San Antonio Approves Increase for Pre-K
San Antonio voters backed their mayor's early-childhood-education initiative by approving a local sales-tax increase that will be used to expand all-day prekindergarten for 4-year-olds.
The measure will raise the tax by one-eighth of a cent to generate roughly $30 million a year. Its champion, Mayor Julián Castro, gained national prominence for his keynote speech during the Democratic National Convention in September.
The higher tax is projected to cost the city's average household roughly $8 more annually and will last for eight years. The expanded pre-K program is set to begin next fall.
Vol. 32, Issue 12, Page 21
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Carbondale, CO
- Founding Principal, Charter School
- OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE, INC., Sturbridge, MA
- Neuhaus Education Center, Bellaire, TX
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA