"2013 CASEL Guide: Effective Social and Emotional Learning Programs"
A review of dozens of social- and emotional-learning programs for pre-K and elementary students highlights 23 that promote students' self-control, relationship building, and problem-solving, among other skills.
The Chicago-based Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning rated programs on whether they provide opportunities for students to practice their social and emotional skills, the contexts in which those skills are promoted and reinforced, and whether there is evidence of effectiveness.
Program outcomes varied. Most demonstrated an effect on students' behavior, but only some showed an effect on emotional distress and academic performance. The project was underwritten by the NoVo Foundation, which also helps supports Education Week's coverage of school climate and student behavior and engagement.
Vol. 32, Issue 05, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Superintendent, Clarke County Public Schools
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Berryville, VA
- Lake Forest School District, Felton, DE
- Ridgefield Public Schools, Ridgefield, CT
- Accomack County Public Schools, Accomac, VA
- Principal - Marchman Technical Education Center
- Pasco County Schools, New Port Richey, FL