"2013 CASEL Guide: Effective Social and Emotional Learning Programs"
A review of dozens of social- and emotional-learning programs for pre-K and elementary students highlights 23 that promote students' self-control, relationship building, and problem-solving, among other skills.
The Chicago-based Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning rated programs on whether they provide opportunities for students to practice their social and emotional skills, the contexts in which those skills are promoted and reinforced, and whether there is evidence of effectiveness.
Program outcomes varied. Most demonstrated an effect on students' behavior, but only some showed an effect on emotional distress and academic performance. The project was underwritten by the NoVo Foundation, which also helps supports Education Week's coverage of school climate and student behavior and engagement.
Vol. 32, Issue 05, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Commissioner of Education
- CT State Department of Education, Hartford, CT
- Diverse Learners Teacher
- AUSL, Chicago, IL
- Founding Principal, Charter School
- OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE, INC., Sturbridge, MA
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh