News in Brief
Coalition to Make Case for Comprehensive Ed.
Amid concern that funding to promote academic disciplines beyond reading, mathematics, and science is getting squeezed out of the federal budget, more than two dozen education organizations are banding together in a new coalition to more effectively make their case to policymakers.
Members of the new College, Career, and Citizenship Readiness Coalition represent subjects including the arts, social studies, history, foreign languages, health, and physical education.
In a statement, the coalition notes that Congress has recently made "deep cuts" in some program areas, including "completely eliminating funding for history, civics, geography, and economics programs." In addition, President Barack Obama has repeatedly sought to consolidate federal programs targeting various disciplines into one competitive-grant program, in which activities previously funded individually would have to compete across disciplines for money, the group claims.
Vol. 31, Issue 36, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- World History Teacher
- The Bolles School, Jacksonville, FL
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Eduator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- High School Principal
- Unionvile-Chadds Ford School District, Kennett Square, PA
- Jefferson County Public Schools WV, Charles Town, WV