News in Brief
New State Chief Named in Maryland
Lillian M. Lowery, Delaware's education secretary since 2009, announced last week that she will take over this summer as state superintendent in Maryland.
The Maryland board of education is scheduled to take official action on the appointment at its April 24 meeting. Ms. Lowery is officially scheduled to begin her Maryland duties on July 1.
Ms. Lowery succeeds longtime schools chief Nancy S. Grasmick, who retired from the position in 2011 after 20 years.
Both states are federal Race to the Top grant winners.
Prior to her job as superintendent in Delaware, Ms. Lowery was a superintendent of the Christina school district, the largest in that state. She has also served as an assistant superintendent in the Fairfax County, Va., school system.
Vol. 31, Issue 29, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent of Schools
- Fremont County School District #14, Ethete, WY
- Dean of Students
- Diman Regional Vocational-Technical High School, Fall River, MA
- Modern & Classical Languages Department Chair
- New Trier Township High School District 203, Winnetka, IL
- Executive Director
- Aspen Academy, Savage, MN
- Glenbrook North High School, Glenview, IL