News in Brief
Striking Tacoma Teachers Approve Contract, End Strike
Striking teachers in Washington state's third-largest school district have accepted a contract, ending an eight-day walkout in the 28,000-student district. The teachers' union in Tacoma said the Sept. 21 vote was 98 percent in favor of the agreement.
Teachers were told the three-year contract would keep salaries and class sizes the same. On the most contentious issue, teacher transfers, the contract calls for a committee of union and school district representatives to recommend a fair policy. The agreement came after Gov. Chris Gregoire, a Democrat, called both sides to the state capital, Olympia.
Vol. 31, Issue 05, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Carbondale, CO
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh
- Diverse Learners Teacher
- AUSL, Chicago, IL
- Founding Principal, Charter School
- OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE, INC., Sturbridge, MA