News in Brief
Mistrial Declared in Killing of Gay Teen at Calif. School
A judge has declared a mistrial in the case of a California teenager accused of shooting to death a gay classmate at school. Jurors failed to agree on the degree of Brandon McInerney's guilt for killing 15-year-old Larry King. Mr. McInerney, 17, was tried as an adult.
The shooting roiled gay-rights advocates and parents in Oxnard. Some criticized the school for not doing enough to protect Mr. King from harassment. Others said administrators failed to address how his behavior and dress—including wearing high heels and makeup—affected other students.
Vol. 31, Issue 03, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Director of Professional Services
- Engaging Schools, Inc., Cambridge, MA
- Deputy Superintendent of Education Support
- West Virginia Department of Education, Charleston, WV
- Supervisor of Mathematics
- Quakertown Community School District, PA
- Superintendent, Rockridge Community Unit School District #300
- Rockridge Community Unit School District #300, Taylor Ridge, IL