News in Brief
Teacher Salaries Should Start at $60,000, Duncan Says
U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan is calling for a retooling of the nation's teacher pipeline, with a higher bar for admission to schools of education, improved performance-based teacher accountability, and higher salaries. In remarks last month to a National Board for Professional Teaching Standards conference, he called for teachers to start out making $60,000 a year and to top out at around $150,000.
Vol. 30, Issue 37, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Chief Academic Officer
- The Partnership for Inner-City Education, New York, NY
- Principal Highland Park High School
- Township High School District #113, IL
- Plainfield Director of Special Services
- New England School Development Council, Meriden, NH
- Supervisor, Secondary Literacy Instruction
- Montgomery County Public Schools, MD
- Executive Director for EdReports
- Koya Leadership Partners, Boston, MA