News in Brief
L.A. Teachers OK Deal for 3,400 Jobs
Los Angeles teachers have voted overwhelmingly to approve a tentative, one-year agreement with the school board intended to help offset an estimated $408 million budget deficit and prevent about 3,400 layoffs. According to a statement from United Teachers Los Angeles, more than 20,000 of the union’s nearly 25,000 members ratified the deal.
The agreement means teachers will have four furlough days in the coming school year. It also restores more than 1,700 elementary and secondary teachers, as well as 1,680 librarians, counselors, and art teachers, and maintains class sizes in elementary schools.
Union leaders said they agreed to the furloughs on the condition that the number be reduced if funding improves.
Vol. 30, Issue 35, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Lower School Principal
- St. Mary's Academy, Englewood, CO
- Herricks School District, New Hyde Park, NY
- Summer Math Curriculum Development Associate (3): Grades K-2; Grades 3-5; Grades 6-8
- The Partnership for Inner-City Education, New York, NY
- District Superintendent
- Department of Defense Education Activity, Seoul, Korea, Democratic People's Republic Of
- Engineering & Robotics Teacher
- String Theory Schools, Philadelphia, PA