News in Brief
AFT Takes on Pension Spiking
The executive committee of the American Federation of Teachers, the nations second-largest teachers union, with 1.5 million members, called for an end to pension spiking and double-dipping in recommendations released last week. The union acknowledged that some pension practices inflate costs, including raising compensation near the end of a workers career to sweeten benefits payouts, known as spiking, and double-dipping, when an employee retires and is rehired, receiving both a pension and a salary.
Vol. 30, Issue 32, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent of Schools
- Gorham School Department, Gorham, ME
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA
- Superintendent, South Orange & Maplewood
- The School District of South Orange & Maplewood, Maplewood, NJ
- Research Fellow - Education
- PPIC, San Francisco, CA
- Superintendent, Somerville Public Schools
- Somerville Public Schools, Somerville, MA