News in Brief
Tenure and Merit-Pay Bill Easily Passes Fla. Senate
A new version of a teacher merit-pay and tenure bill that was vetoed last year after statewide protests is now on a fast track to passage.
The Florida Senate passed the legislation 26-12 last week, just two days after the GOP-controlled legislature convened its regular annual session. All but two Republicans voted for the bill along with one Democrat.
The bill includes a merit-pay plan, based heavily on student test scores, that would go into effect in 2014 and a ban on tenure for teachers hired after July 1 of this year. The House planned to debate the bill this week.
Vol. 30, Issue 24, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Chief Information Officer and Special Projects Manager
- Randolph Public Schools, MA
- Dean of Students
- Diman Regional Vocational-Technical High School, Fall River, MA
- Modern & Classical Languages Department Chair
- New Trier Township High School District 203, Winnetka, IL
- Glenbrook North High School, Glenview, IL
- Superintendent of Schools
- Fremont County School District #14, Ethete, WY