News in Brief
Tenure and Merit-Pay Bill Easily Passes Fla. Senate
A new version of a teacher merit-pay and tenure bill that was vetoed last year after statewide protests is now on a fast track to passage.
The Florida Senate passed the legislation 26-12 last week, just two days after the GOP-controlled legislature convened its regular annual session. All but two Republicans voted for the bill along with one Democrat.
The bill includes a merit-pay plan, based heavily on student test scores, that would go into effect in 2014 and a ban on tenure for teachers hired after July 1 of this year. The House planned to debate the bill this week.
Vol. 30, Issue 24, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Current Superintendent Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Head of School
- Triangle Associates, Pottersville, NJ
- Implementation Success Manager
- Apex Learning, CA
- Katonah-Lewisboro School District, Katonah, NY
- Township High School District 113, Highland Park, IL