News in Brief
Tenure and Merit-Pay Bill Easily Passes Fla. Senate
A new version of a teacher merit-pay and tenure bill that was vetoed last year after statewide protests is now on a fast track to passage.
The Florida Senate passed the legislation 26-12 last week, just two days after the GOP-controlled legislature convened its regular annual session. All but two Republicans voted for the bill along with one Democrat.
The bill includes a merit-pay plan, based heavily on student test scores, that would go into effect in 2014 and a ban on tenure for teachers hired after July 1 of this year. The House planned to debate the bill this week.
Vol. 30, Issue 24, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Aspen High School Principal
- Aspen School District, Aspen, CO
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Scale Your Impact. Lead a Portfolio of Cleveland Schools. Apply today!
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District, Cleveland, OH
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Superintendent, South San Francisco Unified School District
- South San Francisco Unified School District, South San Francisco, CA