News in Brief
Tenure and Merit-Pay Bill Easily Passes Fla. Senate
A new version of a teacher merit-pay and tenure bill that was vetoed last year after statewide protests is now on a fast track to passage.
The Florida Senate passed the legislation 26-12 last week, just two days after the GOP-controlled legislature convened its regular annual session. All but two Republicans voted for the bill along with one Democrat.
The bill includes a merit-pay plan, based heavily on student test scores, that would go into effect in 2014 and a ban on tenure for teachers hired after July 1 of this year. The House planned to debate the bill this week.
Vol. 30, Issue 24, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Eugene School District 4J, Eugene, OR
- Southeast Polk Community School District, Pleasant Hill, IA
- School Based Therapist
- Okanogan Behavioral HealthCare, Omak, WA
- Principal - Secondary (Pool)
- Jefferson County Public Schools, Golden, CO
- Program Officer, Teacher Development
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation, Moorestown, NJ