News in Brief
Virginia to Tighten Textbook Reviews
Virginia’s education department plans to tighten its textbook-review process after experts discovered a multitude of factual errors in state-approved history books.
Education department officials said that Superintendent of Public Instruction Patricia Wright plans to propose to the board of education this month that publishers be required to provide documentation that their books have been reviewed by “competent authorities who vouch for their accuracy.”
Ms. Wright also wants the department of education to more closely scrutinize textbooks that teachers and others on review committees have recommended for preliminary approval.
Vol. 30, Issue 15, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Project Director - Boston Academic Strategy
- TNTP, Boston, MA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Ashburnham-Westminster Regional Schools, Ashburnham, MA
- Assistant Professor of Special Education, Visual Impairments
- University of Pittsburgh, School of Education, PA
- SAU #88 Lebanon School District, West Lebanon, NH
- Vice President -Curriculum & Instruction
- Discovery Communications, Silver Spring, MD