News in Brief
Detroit District Targets Union Over Substitutes' Work Order
The Detroit school district has filed a complaint alleging unfair labor practices in response to a teachers’ union letter that instructed substitute teachers to stop writing lesson plans, grading students, and attending parent-teacher conferences.
The district claimed that the Nov. 12 letter posted on the unions website promoted an illegal work stoppage. Keith Johnson, president of the Detroit Federation of Teachers, argued that the directive did not violate the contract. He said the district was trying to make substitutes act as regular teachers.
Vol. 30, Issue 14, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Director of Special Education
- Reading School District, Reading, PA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Fremont County School District #14, Ethete, WY
- Fort Worth Independent School District, Forth Worth, TX
- Richland School District One, Columbia, SC
- Science Teacher
- Cle Elum-Roslyn School District, Cle Elum, WA