News in Brief
Detroit District Targets Union Over Substitutes' Work Order
The Detroit school district has filed a complaint alleging unfair labor practices in response to a teachers’ union letter that instructed substitute teachers to stop writing lesson plans, grading students, and attending parent-teacher conferences.
The district claimed that the Nov. 12 letter posted on the unions website promoted an illegal work stoppage. Keith Johnson, president of the Detroit Federation of Teachers, argued that the directive did not violate the contract. He said the district was trying to make substitutes act as regular teachers.
Vol. 30, Issue 14, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Marketing Communications Manager, North America (CIE)
- Cambridge International Examinations, New York City, NY
- Head of School/President
- Saint Gertrude High School, Richmond, VA
- Superintendent, Somerville Public Schools
- Somerville Public Schools, Somerville, MA
- Superintendent, South Orange & Maplewood
- The School District of South Orange & Maplewood, Maplewood, NJ
- Fort Worth Independent School District, Forth Worth, TX