News in Brief
Detroit District Targets Union Over Substitutes' Work Order
The Detroit school district has filed a complaint alleging unfair labor practices in response to a teachers’ union letter that instructed substitute teachers to stop writing lesson plans, grading students, and attending parent-teacher conferences.
The district claimed that the Nov. 12 letter posted on the unions website promoted an illegal work stoppage. Keith Johnson, president of the Detroit Federation of Teachers, argued that the directive did not violate the contract. He said the district was trying to make substitutes act as regular teachers.
Vol. 30, Issue 14, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- Jefferson County Public Schools WV, Charles Town, WV
- World History Teacher
- The Bolles School, Jacksonville, FL
- Director, Adult and Career Education
- The School District of Lee County, Fort Myers, FL
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Eduator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom