News in Brief
Va. Alerts Schools, Teachers to History-Textbook Error
The Virginia education department began alerting superintendents and history teachers last week about a passage in a state-approved textbook that falsely claims that thousands of black troops fought for the Confederacy.
The department issued the memo after a College of William and Mary history professor, and parent of a 4th grader, found the passage in the Civil War chapter of Our Virginia: Past and Present. The book claims that black troops fought under Stonewall Jackson, an assertion historians overwhelmingly say is unproved.
The book is one of three approved Virginia history textbooks. The department doesn't track how many schools are using it.
Vol. 30, Issue 09, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Director of John C. Dunham STEM Partnership School
- Aurora University, Aurora, IL
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV
- Park City School District, Park City, UT
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN