News in Brief
Va. Alerts Schools, Teachers to History-Textbook Error
The Virginia education department began alerting superintendents and history teachers last week about a passage in a state-approved textbook that falsely claims that thousands of black troops fought for the Confederacy.
The department issued the memo after a College of William and Mary history professor, and parent of a 4th grader, found the passage in the Civil War chapter of Our Virginia: Past and Present. The book claims that black troops fought under Stonewall Jackson, an assertion historians overwhelmingly say is unproved.
The book is one of three approved Virginia history textbooks. The department doesn't track how many schools are using it.
Vol. 30, Issue 09, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Qualified KG or Elementary Classroom Teacher
- The International School Of Choueifat Manama, Bahrain, Manama, Bahrain
- Director of Technology
- St. Paul's School for Girls, Brooklandville, MD
- Director of College Counseling
- Augusta Preparatory Day School, Martinez, GA
- Director of Information Technology
- Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School, Rockville, MD
- Project Manager, First the Seed Foundation Educational Programs
- First the Seed Foundation, VA