News in Brief
'Intellectual Disability,' Not 'Retardation'
The U.S. House of Representatives has passed legislation to remove the terms mentally retarded and mental retardation from federal laws, to be replaced with "intellectually disabled/disabilities." The bill, already approved by the Senate and sent to the president, is called "Rosa's Law", for Rosa Marcellino, a 9-year-old from Maryland with Down syndrome.
Vol. 30, Issue 06, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Senior Director, Professional Development Product Management
- The College Board, New York, NY
- Marketing Communications Manager, North America (CIE)
- Cambridge International Examinations, New York City, NY
- Superintendent, South Orange & Maplewood
- The School District of South Orange & Maplewood, Maplewood, NJ
- Research Fellow - Education
- PPIC, San Francisco, CA
- Superintendent, Somerville Public Schools
- Somerville Public Schools, Somerville, MA