"The Federal Role in Confronting the Crisis in Adolescent Literacy"
The federal government should step up its role in promoting strong literacy skills at the middle and high school levels, a policy brief by the Alliance for Excellent Education argues.
The Washington-based research and advocacy group offers four recommendations for federal officials: support the state-led adoption and implementation of common English/language arts standards and aligned assessments; support states and districts in developing comprehensive literacy plans; prod states to strengthen teacher education and licensure through the design of performance-based systems that ensure teachers will hone literacy-teaching skills; and invest in research and evaluation on ways to improve adolescent literacy.
Vol. 30, Issue 05, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- World History Teacher
- The Bolles School, Jacksonville, FL
- High School Principal
- Unionvile-Chadds Ford School District, Kennett Square, PA
- Jefferson County Public Schools WV, Charles Town, WV
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Eduator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom