News in Brief
Jobs-Bill Backers Searching For Strategy to Win Passage
Supporters of a federal education jobs bill aimed at helping school districts stem a tidal wave of layoffs were still searching for a legislative vehicle late last week.
Rep. David R. Obey, D-Wis., the chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, had initially sought to include $23 billion in aid to states and districts in an emergency spending bill financing the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. But he was forced to seek a new strategy in the face of opposition from Republicans and some conservative Democrats. The package could be scaled back to as little as $10 billion, according to published reports.
Another key piece of legislation to help steady state budgets a $24 billion extension in Medicaid funding was also pending in Congress as of late last week.
Vol. 29, Issue 35, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Director of Technology
- St. Paul's School for Girls, Brooklandville, MD
- Director of Auxiliary Programming
- Lovett School, Atlanta, GA
- Director of College Counseling
- Augusta Preparatory Day School, Martinez, GA
- Qualified KG or Elementary Classroom Teacher
- The International School Of Choueifat Manama, Bahrain, Manama, Bahrain
- Project Manager, First the Seed Foundation Educational Programs
- First the Seed Foundation, VA