News in Brief
Jobs-Bill Backers Searching For Strategy to Win Passage
Supporters of a federal education jobs bill aimed at helping school districts stem a tidal wave of layoffs were still searching for a legislative vehicle late last week.
Rep. David R. Obey, D-Wis., the chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, had initially sought to include $23 billion in aid to states and districts in an emergency spending bill financing the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. But he was forced to seek a new strategy in the face of opposition from Republicans and some conservative Democrats. The package could be scaled back to as little as $10 billion, according to published reports.
Another key piece of legislation to help steady state budgets a $24 billion extension in Medicaid funding was also pending in Congress as of late last week.
Vol. 29, Issue 35, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- World History Teacher
- The Bolles School, Jacksonville, FL
- High School Principal
- Unionvile-Chadds Ford School District, Kennett Square, PA
- Director, Adult and Career Education
- The School District of Lee County, Fort Myers, FL
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- Jefferson County Public Schools WV, Charles Town, WV