News in Brief
Jobs-Bill Backers Searching For Strategy to Win Passage
Supporters of a federal education jobs bill aimed at helping school districts stem a tidal wave of layoffs were still searching for a legislative vehicle late last week.
Rep. David R. Obey, D-Wis., the chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, had initially sought to include $23 billion in aid to states and districts in an emergency spending bill financing the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. But he was forced to seek a new strategy in the face of opposition from Republicans and some conservative Democrats. The package could be scaled back to as little as $10 billion, according to published reports.
Another key piece of legislation to help steady state budgets a $24 billion extension in Medicaid funding was also pending in Congress as of late last week.
Vol. 29, Issue 35, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Tennessee State Teacher Fellows Program Director
- Hope Street Group, TN
- Superintendent of Schools
- Ashburnham-Westminster Regional Schools, Ashburnham, MA
- Marketing Communications Manager, North America (CIE)
- Cambridge International Examinations, New York City, NY
- Educational Administrator
- YWCA El Paso del Norte, El Paso, TX
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA