News in Brief
Jobs-Bill Backers Searching For Strategy to Win Passage
Supporters of a federal education jobs bill aimed at helping school districts stem a tidal wave of layoffs were still searching for a legislative vehicle late last week.
Rep. David R. Obey, D-Wis., the chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, had initially sought to include $23 billion in aid to states and districts in an emergency spending bill financing the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. But he was forced to seek a new strategy in the face of opposition from Republicans and some conservative Democrats. The package could be scaled back to as little as $10 billion, according to published reports.
Another key piece of legislation to help steady state budgets a $24 billion extension in Medicaid funding was also pending in Congress as of late last week.
Vol. 29, Issue 35, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Southeast Polk Community School District, Pleasant Hill, IA
- Eugene School District 4J, Eugene, OR
- Program Officer, Teacher Development
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation, Moorestown, NJ
- Principal - Secondary (Pool)
- Jefferson County Public Schools, Golden, CO
- School Based Therapist
- Okanogan Behavioral HealthCare, Omak, WA