News in Brief
Think Tank Analyst To Take N.J. State Post
Andy Smarick, a distinguished visiting fellow with the Washington-based Thomas B. Fordham Institute and prolific writer on the federal Race to the Top competition, has been named New Jersey’s deputy commissioner of education.
When he starts his new job this summer, Mr. Smarick will work under Commissioner Bret Schundler, who was picked by recently elected Republican Gov. Christopher Christie.
A former U.S. Department of Education official under President George W. Bush, Mr. Smarick has carved out a role inside education policy circles for his analysis of the Obama administration’s education agenda, particularly the $4 billion Race to the Top and efforts to turn around low-performing schools.
Vol. 29, Issue 33, Pages 4-5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Founding Principal, Charter School
- OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE, INC., Sturbridge, MA
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Carbondale, CO
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh
- Neuhaus Education Center, Bellaire, TX
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA