News in Brief
Maryland School Board May Sue Over Budget
The Montgomery County, Md., school board has voted unanimously to take legal action against the county if its budget is cut further.
The unusual maneuver last week ramps up a confrontation between the school board and the County Council.
School officials had accepted County Executive Isiah Leggett’s proposed $137 million cut to their budget request. But in recent weeks, the County Council has been contemplating another $33 million cut.
The school system had requested the minimum level of funding required by the state. Mr. Leggett’s budget is dipping below that, requiring a waiver from the state board of education.
Schools Superintendent Jerry Weast said state law prohibits the Council from cutting further if the county is already dipping below the state minimum for school spending.
Vol. 29, Issue 32, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Scale Your Impact. Lead a Portfolio of Cleveland Schools. Apply today!
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District, Cleveland, OH
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Superintendent, City Schools of Decatur
- City Schools of Decatur, Decatur, GA
- Superintendent, South San Francisco Unified School District
- South San Francisco Unified School District, South San Francisco, CA