News in Brief
Lawmaker Questions Texas Home-School Numbers
Texas Education Agency figures show nearly 23,000 secondary school students who stopped going to class in 2008 were categorized as being home-schooled and not as dropouts.
The TEA requires a signed statement from a parent or guardian or qualified student, or an oral statement made within 10 days of when the student quits attending school, with the intention of home schooling.
Media reports last week indicated that the Texas Home School Coalition estimates more than 300,000 children in the state are home-schooled.
State Sen. Florence Shapiro said she supports home schooling, but not when it becomes a scapegoat for dropping out. Ms. Shapiro, who chairs the Senate Education Committee, said she plans to take a closer look at the figures.
Vol. 29, Issue 32, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Jefferson County Public Schools WV, Charles Town, WV
- Director, Adult and Career Education
- The School District of Lee County, Fort Myers, FL
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- High School Principal
- Unionvile-Chadds Ford School District, Kennett Square, PA
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Eduator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom