News in Brief
Miss. Student Sues District Over Prom-Date Dispute
A Mississippi teenager who challenged her school district’s ban on same-sex prom dates is suing the district, claiming she suffered public humiliation because of its actions.
The lawsuit was filed last week by the American Civil Liberties Union in U.S. District Court in Aberdeen, Miss. The Itawamba County district and school officials are named as defendants.
Constance McMillen, 18, is a senior at Itawamba Agricultural High School in Fulton. In the lawsuit, her lawyers said Ms. McMillen has taken medical leave from classes and wants to transfer out of the school district. She and the ACLU challenged her school district’s rule that banned same-sex prom dates and a stipulation that only male students be allowed to wear tuxedos to the event. In response, the district canceled its prom.
The lawsuit seeks compensatory damages for Ms. McMillen's public humiliation and disparagement, as well as the mental-health, medical, and educational impact she says she has felt.
Vol. 29, Issue 30, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA
- Maryhaven Center of Hope, Port Jefferson Station, NY
- Superintendent, South Orange & Maplewood
- The School District of South Orange & Maplewood, Maplewood, NJ
- Marketing Communications Manager, North America (CIE)
- Cambridge International Examinations, New York City, NY
- Director, Post-Secondary Workforce Readiness Program
- Aurora Public Schools, Aurora, CO