News in Brief
Hawaii Union Files Complaint Against Governor on Furloughs
Hawaii’s teachers’ union is filing a complaint against Gov. Linda Lingle, claiming that she didn’t fulfill a commitment to use the state’s savings to end school closures because of furloughs.
The Hawaii State Teachers Association made the complaint with the Hawaii Labor Relations Board last week, saying Ms. Lingle agreed to use $50 million from the state’s rainy-day fund to help end furloughs, but she wouldn’t sign off on a deal negotiated by the board of education.
Ms. Lingle has said she would only spend the money if it were leveraged to end furlough days both this school year and next. The union wanted to use the funds to end school closures this school year, while next years 17 furlough days would remain.
Vol. 29, Issue 23, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Muddy Brook Principal
- Berkshire Hills Regional School District, Stockbridge, MA
- Principal, Niwot High School
- St. Vrain Valley School District, CO
- Administrative Assistant
- AERO HYDROLIC INC, Chicago Heights, IL
- Accomack County Public Schools, Accomac, VA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Regional School Unit 21, Kennebunk, ME