News in Brief
NYC Students Sue Schools Over Treatment by Safety Officers
Five students who attend middle and high schools in New York City are suing the city’s police department, alleging school safety officers mistreated them.
The students, who are represented by the American and New York Civil Liberties Unions, claim they were assaulted, handcuffed, and illegally hauled off to police stations. School safety officers were brought under the police department about a decade ago. They can make arrests, but they do not carry weapons.
The city's law department said it had not seen the lawsuit, which was filed last week in federal court in Brooklyn, and therefore could not immediately comment.
Vol. 29, Issue 19, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Current Superintendent Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Highland Falls-Fort Montgomery CSD, Highland Falls, NY
- Executive Director
- Sturgis Charter Public School, Multiple Locations
- Vice President -Curriculum & Instruction
- Discovery Communications, Silver Spring, MD
- CHIEF ACADEMIC OFFICER ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDANT, OPERATIONS
- Fresno Unified School District, Fresno, CA