News in Brief
Asian Students Protest Treatment
Philadelphia’s superintendent says she wants to make sure that violence against Asian students at South Philadelphia High School does not continue.
Arlene Ackerman said last week at a meeting of the School Reform Commission that the district will hire an investigator to look into the issue. She’s also creating a task force to address racial and cultural awareness.
Dozens of Asian students and community leaders packed the meeting to discuss violence at South Philadelphia High, where students were boycotting classes after about 30 were assaulted at the school last week. They say the attacks are racially motivated and that school staff members turn a blind eye to the assaults and disparage Asians.
Vol. 29, Issue 15, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Austin Independent School District, Austin, TX
- Head of School
- Saint James School, Montgomery, AL
- Wissahickon School District, PA
- Middle School Director
- Greensboro Day School, Greensboro, NC
- Program Officer, Teacher Development
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation, Moorestown, NJ