News in Brief
Detroit Board Member Not Guilty of Charges After Scuffle at Meeting
The Wayne County, Mich., prosecutor’s office says a Detroit school board member has been found not guilty of misdemeanor charges following a scuffle with a heckler.
The 36th District Court jury reached its decision Oct. 1 in the case of Marie Thornton, who had been charged with assault and battery and disorderly jostling stemming from a confrontation with then-60-year-old Loyce Lester, a Detroit minister. The incident followed a September 2007 school board meeting.
In a memo to the board, Ms. Thornton admitted shoving Mr. Lester, but said she was defending herself. She accused Mr. Lester of shoving her.
Vol. 29, Issue 06, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Aspen High School Principal
- Aspen School District, Aspen, CO
- Superintendent, City Schools of Decatur
- City Schools of Decatur, Decatur, GA
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Superintendent, South San Francisco Unified School District
- South San Francisco Unified School District, South San Francisco, CA
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations