News in Brief
Detroit Board Member Not Guilty of Charges After Scuffle at Meeting
The Wayne County, Mich., prosecutor’s office says a Detroit school board member has been found not guilty of misdemeanor charges following a scuffle with a heckler.
The 36th District Court jury reached its decision Oct. 1 in the case of Marie Thornton, who had been charged with assault and battery and disorderly jostling stemming from a confrontation with then-60-year-old Loyce Lester, a Detroit minister. The incident followed a September 2007 school board meeting.
In a memo to the board, Ms. Thornton admitted shoving Mr. Lester, but said she was defending herself. She accused Mr. Lester of shoving her.
Vol. 29, Issue 06, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Secondary Teachers
- Roaring Fork School District, Glenwood Spgs, CO
- Park City School District, Park City, UT
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Educator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN