News in Brief
'Diplomas Now' Project Receives $5 Million to Expand Across U.S.
A five-city initiative aimed at providing “wraparound” supports for middle and high school students has received $5 million from the PepsiCo Foundation.
The three-year commitment by the philanthropic arm of the Purchase, N.Y.-based PepsiCo Inc. will provide support for Diplomas Now, an initiative expanding to Chicago, Los Angeles, New Orleans, and San Antonio. It was pilot-tested last year at a Philadelphia middle school.
Led by Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, the program uses a data-based early-warning system to identify students most at risk of dropping out. It draws on the expertise of City Year, a service-corps organization, and of Communities in Schools, which provides a network of social services for students.
Vol. 29, Issue 05, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Neuhaus Education Center, Bellaire, TX
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Carbondale, CO
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Diverse Learners Teacher
- AUSL, Chicago, IL
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh