News in Brief
'Diplomas Now' Project Receives $5 Million to Expand Across U.S.
A five-city initiative aimed at providing “wraparound” supports for middle and high school students has received $5 million from the PepsiCo Foundation.
The three-year commitment by the philanthropic arm of the Purchase, N.Y.-based PepsiCo Inc. will provide support for Diplomas Now, an initiative expanding to Chicago, Los Angeles, New Orleans, and San Antonio. It was pilot-tested last year at a Philadelphia middle school.
Led by Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, the program uses a data-based early-warning system to identify students most at risk of dropping out. It draws on the expertise of City Year, a service-corps organization, and of Communities in Schools, which provides a network of social services for students.
Vol. 29, Issue 05, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Tredyffrin/Easttown School District, Wayne, PA
- Cristo Rey Jesuit College Preparatory School of Houston, Houston, TX
- Assistant Principal - Drake High School
- Tamalpais Union High School District, San Anselmo, CA
- The New School Montessori, Cincinnati, OH
- Part-time AP class instructors - remote
- Ascendant Institute, US