Irish School Victims Angry That Abusers Not Named
The thousands of victims of Ireland's child-abuse homes spent decades just trying to get the public to believe them. A mammoth investigation has proved the horrors of their youth, but left many disappointed that their abusers were not named.
A nine-year probe into child abuse by Ireland's Catholic religious orders painted a damning portrait of a system that shielded child-molesters from justice and trapped generations of Ireland's poorest children to misery from the 1930s to the 1990s.
"I do genuinely believe that it would have been a further step towards our healing if our abusers had been named and shamed," said Christine Buckley, 62, who spent her first 18 years in a Dublin orphanage run by...
This article is available to registered guests only.
To keep reading this article and more, register now, subscribe,
or start a 2-week FREE trial for the best site-wide access.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Roaring Fork School District, Carbondale, CO
- Chattahoochee Hills Charter School, Multiple Locations
- Charter School Director (Head of School)
- International Preparatory Academy, Detroit, MI
- The Berkeley Institute, HAMILTON, Bermuda
- Round Rock ISD, Round Rock, TX