News in Brief
N.C. School District to Replace Laid-Off Teachers With Novices
Some experienced teachers being laid off in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg, N.C., district will be replaced with 100 new Teach For America recruits.
More than 400 classroom teachers are scheduled to get layoff notices later this month. Superintendent Peter Gorman said some will be recalled if budgets improve for 2009-10. He said he believes using the teaching recruits is a good idea because they “would be bumping a teacher who’s below standard.”
Mary McCray, the president of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Association of Educators, said: "It’s more or less telling them, 'We don’t give a flip about you'."
Vol. 28, Issue 32, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- International Schools First Ever iFair
- International Schools Services, Multiple Locations
- Marketing Communications Manager, North America (CIE)
- Cambridge International Examinations, New York City, NY
- Fort Worth Independent School District, Forth Worth, TX
- Director II-Sudent Support Services
- Deer Valley Unified School District, Phoenix, AZ
- Superintendent, South Orange & Maplewood
- The School District of South Orange & Maplewood, Maplewood, NJ