News in Brief
N.C. School District to Replace Laid-Off Teachers With Novices
Some experienced teachers being laid off in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg, N.C., district will be replaced with 100 new Teach For America recruits.
More than 400 classroom teachers are scheduled to get layoff notices later this month. Superintendent Peter Gorman said some will be recalled if budgets improve for 2009-10. He said he believes using the teaching recruits is a good idea because they “would be bumping a teacher who’s below standard.”
Mary McCray, the president of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Association of Educators, said: "It’s more or less telling them, 'We don’t give a flip about you'."
Vol. 28, Issue 32, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Director of Auxiliary Programming
- Lovett School, Atlanta, GA
- Director of Information Technology
- Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School, Rockville, MD
- Chief Academic Officer
- Cristo Rey Network, Chicago, IL
- Director of College Counseling
- Augusta Preparatory Day School, Martinez, GA
- Director of Technology
- St. Paul's School for Girls, Brooklandville, MD