News in Brief
N.C. School District to Replace Laid-Off Teachers With Novices
Some experienced teachers being laid off in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg, N.C., district will be replaced with 100 new Teach For America recruits.
More than 400 classroom teachers are scheduled to get layoff notices later this month. Superintendent Peter Gorman said some will be recalled if budgets improve for 2009-10. He said he believes using the teaching recruits is a good idea because they “would be bumping a teacher who’s below standard.”
Mary McCray, the president of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Association of Educators, said: "It’s more or less telling them, 'We don’t give a flip about you'."
Vol. 28, Issue 32, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Director, Professional Development Curriculum Design & Development
- Northwest Evaluation Association, Portland, OR
- Alphonsus Academy & Center for the Arts, Chicago, IL
- Deputy Chief Academic Supports Officer
- School District of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV