News in Brief
N.C. School District to Replace Laid-Off Teachers With Novices
Some experienced teachers being laid off in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg, N.C., district will be replaced with 100 new Teach For America recruits.
More than 400 classroom teachers are scheduled to get layoff notices later this month. Superintendent Peter Gorman said some will be recalled if budgets improve for 2009-10. He said he believes using the teaching recruits is a good idea because they “would be bumping a teacher who’s below standard.”
Mary McCray, the president of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Association of Educators, said: "It’s more or less telling them, 'We don’t give a flip about you'."
Vol. 28, Issue 32, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- Director, Adult and Career Education
- The School District of Lee County, Fort Myers, FL
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Eduator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- High School Principal
- Unionvile-Chadds Ford School District, Kennett Square, PA
- Jefferson County Public Schools WV, Charles Town, WV