News in Brief
N.C. School District to Replace Laid-Off Teachers With Novices
Some experienced teachers being laid off in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg, N.C., district will be replaced with 100 new Teach For America recruits.
More than 400 classroom teachers are scheduled to get layoff notices later this month. Superintendent Peter Gorman said some will be recalled if budgets improve for 2009-10. He said he believes using the teaching recruits is a good idea because they “would be bumping a teacher who’s below standard.”
Mary McCray, the president of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Association of Educators, said: "It’s more or less telling them, 'We don’t give a flip about you'."
Vol. 28, Issue 32, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Middle School Director
- Greensboro Day School, Greensboro, NC
- Office Assistant
- Bell Shore Florist, CA
- Director of Operations (Spanish Fluency Required)
- Ascend Learning, Brooklyn, NY
- Head of School
- Saint James School, Montgomery, AL
- Program Officer, Teacher Development
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation, Moorestown, NJ