News in Brief
Washington Lawmakers Suspend Teacher Bonuses, Training Programs
Mandatory teacher bonuses are just one item on a list of mandatory school spending programs and initiatives that could be postponed under a bill passed by the Washington state legislature.
The bill already passed the House and was approved by the Senate on a vote of 28-20 last week. The measure now goes to Gov. Christine Gregoire, a Democrat.
Bonuses for teachers who work in high-poverty areas, peer-mentoring programs, and paraprofessional-training programs could be suspended indefinitely. The programs—some of which were passed by the voters—are just the latest to get the ax as the legislature pares back its budget in the face of a growing recession.
Vol. 28, Issue 30, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Park City School District, Park City, UT
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Educator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Director of Professional Services
- Engaging Schools, Inc., Cambridge, MA