News in Brief
Louisiana State Superintendent Seeks Changes for Local Boards
Louisiana Superintendent of Education Paul Pastorek wants to overhaul the laws governing local school boards to reform and modernize education, but school board members see his proposals as a direct assault against them to consolidate power in Baton Rouge.
He wants to put term limits on board members, take away their salaries, and limit their authority over school superintendents. If the state education board agrees next month, the political tug-of-war will head to the legislature.
Mr. Pastorek’s department will present recommendations for legislation in March to the state board of elementary and secondary education, whose members will decide which to pursue with the legislature.
Vol. 28, Issue 22, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Glenbrook North High School, Glenview, IL
- Dean of Students
- Diman Regional Vocational-Technical High School, Fall River, MA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Fremont County School District #14, Ethete, WY
- Chief Information Officer and Special Projects Manager
- Randolph Public Schools, MA
- Executive Director
- Aspen Academy, Savage, MN