News in Brief
Chicago Students Shorten Boycott
Protest Over Funding Called Off When Governor Refuses Meeting
Organizers called off a boycott of the Chicago public schools last week, saying they wanted students to return to class and Gov. Rod Blagojevich to meet to discuss the Illinois' education funding system.
State Sen. James T. Meeks, a pastor who led what was supposed to be a four-day boycott, said he ended the protest after two days because Mr. Blagojevich said he wouldn't meet while it was going. Now, the ball is in the Democratic governor's court, said Mr. Meeks, also a Democrat.
Organizers said the two-day boycott that began Sept. 2 was effective and brought attention to the issue of school funding while showing students what a well-financed school looks like. The day school started in Chicago, more than 1,000 students boarded buses to suburban Northfield, where they symbolically registered at the affluent New Trier High School. Other students attended impromptu lessons in 16 Chicago office buildings.
Arne Duncan, the chief executive officer of the 408,000-student district, said keeping children out of school is wrong even if the message is right.
Vol. 28, Issue 03, Page 4
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
Viewed
Emailed
Recommended
Commented
Sponsored Whitepapers
• Best Practices in Information Management, Reporting and Analytics for Education
- Train Brilliant Math Students
- Art of Problem Solving, San Diego, CA
- Chief Innovation Officer
- The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE®), Washington, DC
- Principal - Chicago Metro Area West
- The Menta Group, Hillside, IL
- Instructional Leadership Director
- ALBANY CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT, Albany, NY
- Common Core Literacy Assessment Developer - Part Time
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY



We encourage lively debate, but please be respectful of others. Profanity and personal attacks are prohibited. By commenting, you are agreeing to abide by our user agreement.
All comments are public.