News in Brief
Certification Measure Approved in Missouri
Legislation authorizing a new alternative- teacher-certification process that supporters say could take less time and less money than the current path is on its way to Missouri Gov. Matt Blunt, a Republican who has supported the idea in the past.
The bill passed the Missouri House April 15 by an 85-63 vote—just barely above the 82-vote majority needed in the chamber. It passed the Senate in February by a 25-5 vote.
Supporters say the state faces a teacher shortage that has not been filled either with traditional college teaching graduates or through the state’s existing alternative- certification process.
The legislation would let people with expertise in a particular subject—but without teaching degrees—enter the classroom after completing a program run by the American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence.
Vol. 27, Issue 34, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Eduator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Jefferson County Public Schools WV, Charles Town, WV
- Director, Adult and Career Education
- The School District of Lee County, Fort Myers, FL
- World History Teacher
- The Bolles School, Jacksonville, FL
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY