Education and the Economy
“Governors and Public Education: A Trend Analysis of Gubernatorial Messages 2004-2008”
A study by the Washington-based Communities for Quality Education that examined five years of State of the State speeches found that every governor has stressed the link between education funding and economic growth.
The group, a coalition of advocacy organizations, including the National Education Association and some of its affiliates, also found that governors mentioned school choice and merit-pay initiatives less often in 2008 than in years before.
In 2007, all governors mentioned the importance of education in spurring economic growth, and 29 governors talked about that issue in their 2008 addresses.
Vol. 27, Issue 32, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Executive Director
- Sturgis Charter Public School, Multiple Locations
- Superintendent of Schools
- Ashburnham-Westminster Regional Schools, Ashburnham, MA
- Vice President -Curriculum & Instruction
- Discovery Communications, Silver Spring, MD
- Current Superintendent Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- CHIEF ACADEMIC OFFICER ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDANT, OPERATIONS
- Fresno Unified School District, Fresno, CA