Education and the Economy
“Governors and Public Education: A Trend Analysis of Gubernatorial Messages 2004-2008”
A study by the Washington-based Communities for Quality Education that examined five years of State of the State speeches found that every governor has stressed the link between education funding and economic growth.
The group, a coalition of advocacy organizations, including the National Education Association and some of its affiliates, also found that governors mentioned school choice and merit-pay initiatives less often in 2008 than in years before.
In 2007, all governors mentioned the importance of education in spurring economic growth, and 29 governors talked about that issue in their 2008 addresses.
Vol. 27, Issue 32, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Director of Secondary Education
- Minneapolis Public Schools, MN
- Director of Academic and Strategic Initiatives - Instruction
- Anne Arundel County Public Schools, Annapolis, MD
- Director of Technology
- St. Paul's School, Clearwater, FL
- Senior Director, Business Development and Education Services
- Foundations, Inc., Mount Laurel, NJ
- Charter School Operator
- Options PCS, Multiple Locations