News in Brief
Student, 14, Charged in Shooting in Classroom in Oxnard, Calif.
Prosecutors on Feb. 14 charged a 14-year-old boy with attempted murder and said he committed a hate crime in the classroom shooting of a student in Oxnard, Calif., who has since been declared brain dead.
Prosecutors would not say why they filed a hate-crime enhancement with the attempted murder count, but classmates said the 15-year-old victim, Lawrence King, sometimes wore women’s clothes. Prosecutors want the suspect tried as an adult and expect to upgrade the charges after Mr. King is taken off a ventilator for organ donation.
The victim was shot in the head Feb. 12 during a class at E.O. Green Junior High School, police said. More than 20 other students were in the room at the time.
Vol. 27, Issue 24, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Superintendent Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Senior Associate
- Great Schools Partnership, Portland, ME
- Executive Director
- Charter School NYC, New York, NY
- Coordinator of Connected Learning
- Center Grove Community School Corporation, Greenwood, IN
- Darien, CT Superintendent of Schools
- NESDEC, Darien, CT