State of the States
Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. (R) • Jan. 22
In response to a shortage of 400 teachers this year, Gov. Huntsman recommended increasing teachers’ salaries by 7 percent and called on universities to graduate 1,000 more teachers annually, over the next four years. He said he wanted to strengthen principals’ accountability and responsibility—giving them “the ability to reward the good teachers and replace the bad ones”—and to cut back on standardized tests. He gave no details on either idea, however. He also advocated better remedial and accelerated education in the summer months.
Vol. 27, Issue 21, Page 18
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Neuhaus Education Center, Bellaire, TX
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Carbondale, CO
- Healthy Start Academy, Durham, NC
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh