State of the States
Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. (R) • Jan. 22
In response to a shortage of 400 teachers this year, Gov. Huntsman recommended increasing teachers’ salaries by 7 percent and called on universities to graduate 1,000 more teachers annually, over the next four years. He said he wanted to strengthen principals’ accountability and responsibility—giving them “the ability to reward the good teachers and replace the bad ones”—and to cut back on standardized tests. He gave no details on either idea, however. He also advocated better remedial and accelerated education in the summer months.
Vol. 27, Issue 21, Page 18
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Director of John C. Dunham STEM Partnership School
- Aurora University, Aurora, IL
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV
- Director of Professional Services
- Engaging Schools, Inc., Cambridge, MA
- Park City School District, Park City, UT
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN