State of the States
Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. (R) • Jan. 22
In response to a shortage of 400 teachers this year, Gov. Huntsman recommended increasing teachers’ salaries by 7 percent and called on universities to graduate 1,000 more teachers annually, over the next four years. He said he wanted to strengthen principals’ accountability and responsibility—giving them “the ability to reward the good teachers and replace the bad ones”—and to cut back on standardized tests. He gave no details on either idea, however. He also advocated better remedial and accelerated education in the summer months.
Vol. 27, Issue 21, Page 18
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, City Schools of Decatur
- City Schools of Decatur, Decatur, GA
- Superintendent, South San Francisco Unified School District
- South San Francisco Unified School District, South San Francisco, CA
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Aspen High School Principal
- Aspen School District, Aspen, CO
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN