State of the States
Gov. Chet Culver (D) • Jan. 15
Gov. Culver proposed in his annual speech to lawmakers a $5 million Science, Technology, and Engineering and Math Center at the University of Northern Iowa, arguing that the investment would help double the number of math and science teachers in the state's public schools. He also called for expanding the All Iowa Opportunity Scholarship program, which gives needy students who graduate from high school with at least a 2.5 GPA up to $6,200 to attend college in the state. And he advocated expanding early-childhood education, with the goal of offering a statewide program by 2010.
Vol. 27, Issue 20, Page 18
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Vice President -Curriculum & Instruction
- Discovery Communications, Silver Spring, MD
- Executive Director
- Sturgis Charter Public School, Multiple Locations
- Project Director - Boston Academic Strategy
- TNTP, Boston, MA
- SAU #88 Lebanon School District, West Lebanon, NH
- Assistant Professor of Special Education, Visual Impairments
- University of Pittsburgh, School of Education, PA