State of the States
Gov. Joe Manchin III (D) • Jan. 9
A revised school aid formula that was supposed to provide more money for teacher pay hasn’t worked out the way it was intended and needs to be fixed, Gov. Manchin said during his address to the legislature. The state made changes in the school aid formula for salary supplements, but the money has gone to purposes other than classroom salary supplements, he said. His budget proposal, which includes $1.845 billion in education funding, a 2.8 percent increase over this fiscal year, would require that all the money identified under the revised school aid plan go to teacher salaries. The governor has also proposed creating a commission that would offer recommendations on anti-bullying policies, and taking away the driver licenses of students who commit serious offenses at school.
Vol. 27, Issue 20, Page 19
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- Jefferson County Public Schools WV, Charles Town, WV
- Director, Adult and Career Education
- The School District of Lee County, Fort Myers, FL
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Eduator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- High School Principal
- Unionvile-Chadds Ford School District, Kennett Square, PA