Beyond Benchmarks and Scores
Motivating students is a key element of effective teaching that is largely dependent on the teacher, concludes a position paper by the Association for Childhood Education International.
The Olney, Md.-based organization asserts that teachers play a considerable role in student motivation by making the subject matter relevant and challenging, and facilitating interest through both intrinsic and extrinsic task-related incentives. Encouraging motivation is an essential teaching strategy that transcends the mere presentation of material and translation of knowledge from teacher to student, concludes the paper.
The conclusions in the position paper were derived from an interdisciplinary analysis of research on the learning process.
Vol. 27, Issue 16, Page 5
- SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS - CANTON, MS
- Canton Public School District, Canton, MS
- TEACHER RECRUITMENT
- Mott Haven Academy Charter School, Bronx, NY
- Superintendent, Clarke County Public Schools
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Berryville, VA
- Classroom Teachers
- The Cambridge Schools, Doha, Qa, Qatar
- Upper School (6th-12th grade) General Studies Principal
- Robert M. Beren Academy, Houston, TX