House Committee Backs Renewal of Higher Education Act
Reflecting bipartisan consternation over the rising price of a college education and other postsecondary issues, the House education committee voted unanimously today to send its version of a bill to reauthorize the Higher Education Act to the full House.
The HEA was last renewed in 1998 and its reauthorization has been pending since 2003. The law governs a broad swath of federal student aid and other higher education programs, including those covering teacher training. In July, the Senate passed its own bill to reauthorize the law.
The House Education and Labor Committee spent hours fine-tuning the bill on Nov. 14 before approving the measure the next day. Much of the discussion centered around the federal role...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
- Notre Dame Cristo Rey High School, Lawrence, MA
- Director of Product Marketing, Assessment
- Scholastic Inc., Manhattan, NY
- Associate Director of Marketing & Business Development
- Generation Ready, New York, NY
- Lawrence Family Development Charter School, Lawrence, MA
- Flagler County Public Schools, Bunnell, FL